Any sight-reading tips?

I recently played the piano(just for pleasure) but my curiosity influences me to learn music theory. Then I got bored and try to play some songs(anime ops) but I can’t play it but I can read the music sheet letters one by one which is a horrible thing. I don’t want to use synthesia because I believe that when learning music, comprehending and reading it is the best way.

Yousician offers free and premium access. Free subscriber lesson length is limited but can be up to 10 minutes for a session.

I have used this app (the free version). 10 minutes per day. works pretty well. I don’t work for them, and I’m not trying to sell. Just my personal experience. You can change the interface from bars to notes. Either way, it is laid out on what looks like sheet music.

I rarely sight read anything these days, the best tip I can give you is to practice reading ahead of what you are playing. Depending on the speed of the piece you should be reading at least 3-4 notes ahead of what your hands are doing.

Two things I keep in mind is to start as slow as possible, if you think you’re playing slow enough, go even slower! Just like learning to read words, you’ll eventually be able to do it faster and faster. The other thing to keep in mind is that if you make a mistake don’t stop to correct correct yourself, carry on regardless. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Watching youtube videos with follow along score might help as a general thing, and possibly get the score in paper form as well, or print from IMSLP (search it)

Chopin Mazurkas for instance, and just pick the melody to sing along, vocally, while following the lines. Or Bach, 4 part harmony, pick one voice to follow. Get a melodica and play just the melody along to recordings, if you are a piano person.

Singing and playing both are useful I imagine (try both).

Teach an instrument, the amount of time spent following sheet music while someone is going through it is several consistent weekly hours potentially, where at home when on your own every day, it might be hard to concentrate on “sight-reading” for more than 5 minutes without the brain getting tired.

Easy to find it hard and feel like you can’t progress through the things you don’t understand as you can’t do them well yet. It’s a lifelong struggle to be shit at stuff and still love them and try them, and see results when you least expect it. SOmetimes better to flank stuff than to attack it head on, other times it’s good to attack head on too, but can easily lead to burn out because you don’t immediately see results ompared to the difficulty it gives to confront things that way.

Eventually these different “methods” culminate and may help hit a new plateau. The more you do something, the more likely it is that it progresses.

There’s rhythm studies as distinct from interval studies and staff reading, so this site has been recommended to me by a drummer recently, I think there’s an iphone app for it too, though no Android that I could find but the web version seems sweet, the different levels are different speeds of the same thing, all starts with explanation then exercise:

https://vicfirth.zildjian.com/education/webrhythms-lesson-1.html

I was once advised to listen to Shostakovich string quartets while following the score, and just keep doing it. Undoubtedly having youtube and following stuff may help to a degree, but again, all depends how it all contributes for your personal activities, goals, needs, exposure.