Technical aspects of the pianobook project

Hello, and many compliments to all for the fantastic project.

I am a software engineer, and an hobbyist musician. I found this project and i really wish it well. Unfortunately I am not sure how much time I have to actively participating in this community, but, probably with much more enthusiasm than common sense, would still like to be able to contribute something.

My main question is: I understand that this community has a kind of relation with Spitfire Audio, but it’s unclear to me how deep this relation is?

As a software engineer I might contribute pieces that might overlap (if even by a tiny wee bit) with Spitfire products, and this makes me a bit unconfortable, as i really don’t want to step on anyone’s toes. I do want to respect anyone’s work!

Another question i might have, for a wider community is: without any promise as i am unfortunately not able to keep any, what kind of task would you like to be automated?

i was thinking to create a small “sampling template generator” to help personalising the template with different tempos, different voices, different progressions. It should be relatively easy to do, but i am questioning it’s utility.

i also was looking into the EXS format specification to try and automate all the “region mangling” i have seen in the youtube videos, but this, for me, would be a significant bigger effort and i am not sure i have enough spare time to study all the relevant technical details. this also may be a useless endeavour, as workflow and tooling is so personal, is difficult a hobbist level project can’t reach the polishness of some tools we may already use, like the redmatica sampling tools, or our preferred daws.

any ideas or feedback on this?

also, if there are questions that a software engineer might answer, i offer all the availability i am able to provide!

I am sure others will have better answers than me, but my understanding is that the only relation to Spitfire this community has is that Christian started this group and that most users on here love Spitfire libraries. I’m pretty sure the company doesn’t have anything directly to do with this site. That being said I’m sure most on here would really like the idea of any kind of tool/software that could help automate parts of the sampling process. Efficiency = progress and more time to focus on the creative.

Welcome to the community

Spitfire are not directly involved in the community project but they do endorse it. @christianhenson ran the idea past the rest of the team at Spitfire to ensure they were happy with a project running as a standalone effort. That’s not to say that Spitfire may not get involved in creating a packaged version of some of the samples in the future, however you certainly wouldn’t be stepping on any toes at this stage helping the community out with tools.

Welcome, Antonio!

Steven and Stephen have already said it, but I’ll speak strictly from the perspective of the admin of this here forum. I pay for and maintain the forum with no financial or otherwise support from Spitfire. I’m only related as a fan and customer.

As for automation, while complicated, I’d be curious about the possibility of some scripts to convert to/from various sampling formats. Tools like SampleRobot exist, but I don’t yet have a good grasp on their ability to convert formats from already made instruments. It can export to many formats if the sampling is started/made within SampleRobot.

thank you all for the clarifications!

i was looking at sampling format conversions, but from a developer perspective it’s a bit of a nightmare =)

all formats are proprietary and the information on how to deal with those are scarce at best, let’s just say i now see where all the value of tools like samplerobot hides =)

For conversion of samples between formats, there are products like this one: https://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/formats.html

I’m sure there are others…